1. Safety first! Get away from the bee(s)- bees release a scent when in danger to call-in reinforcements, leave the site immediately.
2. Remove any stingers immediately by pulling them out with your fingers. Letting the stinger remain in the body leads to more reaction.
3. If the victim is known to react to bee stings, call for help immediately! Do not wait to see a reaction.
4. Watch the victim closely for signs of anaphylaxis which include: itching, redness, raised welts or shortness of breath.
5. If anaphylaxis develops, antihistamines- if available- can slow the anaphylactic reaction but will not stop it.
6. For non-allergic victims, a local reaction develops after a bee stings evidenced by redness, swelling, and pain. The pain will usually go away quickly or can be managed with ibuprofen or acetaminophen but swelling may last for more than a day. You can use an ice pack to reduce swelling at the site if you have access to one. It's common to develop some itching at the bee sting site, you can take antihistamines to reduce the symptoms.
7. If there is evidence that the victim was stung more than 10 times or if there are bee stings inside the nose, mouth or throat-take them to a health facility. Swelling in these areas can cause shortness of breath even in non-allergic victims.

Attribution: Avallain

Register / Log in