1. Ensure your safety first - wear protective clothing
2. Remove any foreign objects from the eye. This includes contact lenses if the victim wears them
3. Flush the eye gently with warm water for at least 10 minutes.
4. Irrigate the eye using a stream of water from a glass held about 3 inches above the affected eye. If both eyes are affected, aim for the bridge of the nose. Eyes do not need to be held open-but the victim should try and periodically open and close them when delivering the stream.
5. Do not use eye drops until you have seen a medical professional.